Monday, March 23, 2015

Movie talk - "The Fencer"

For the first time, I visited Tartu Elektriteater. It reminded me of Von Krahl in Tallinn a bit. The best thing about this visit was, that two leading actors came to answer questions after the movie. Even I asked one. Let me tell you, following story is full of spoilers, so stop reading, go see it and come back to discuss it with me.
The movie was based on true characters with some modifications, because it was not a documentary, but not all was made up. What I learned was that fencing is a thing in Haapsalu, I mean, who knew about this? Another thing that was said - amazing child actors do exist, right here in Estonia.
About the movie, it made me cry on so many levels, I mean, yes I'm an emotional person, but the story was touching. A man who fled from war, changed his name, left his career as a fencer and risked his life, because he didn't want to let his students down. A person who didn't even know how to interact with children, but they trusted him and they stole his heart. Leading actor Märt Avandi, said that children appreciate honesty and they can feel it, if you are trying to trick them. I think that if it comes to children, I become especially sensitive, maybe that's why all my sparkly eye liner was all over my cheeks by the end of the movie. I can also say that the story has a relatively happy end, so don't worry, it is suitable for a younger audience.
I really really really liked this movie. It is just long enough, camera work and finishing touches are really good, the story itself is interesting, characters are lovable, a bit of humor and a lot of seriousness, plus great acting makes you lose yourself in the story and find yourself again, cheering along for the children and maybe, just maybe you can see the story through a child's eyes, for whom everything is new and exciting.
Hope you give it a chance to let it touch your soul as much as it touched mine, I hope you form an opinion strong enough to tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment