Monday, March 30, 2015

Dinner for one

Ever since I started flying solo again, I kind of stopped eating. It was great for my figure, but not that great for my health. To be honest, I have never known how to eat alone, all by myself. So I learned little by little, to eat again. I lost a huge amount of weight at first, I lost my appetite, ate only noodles, but I also understood that it had to change, because I had no energy to get out of bed even.
So I started researching, what food to eat to get the most of it. As a result, I fell in love with avocado. Before, my hair was dry, my nails broke all the time and then I started eating the right kind of nutrients, a lot of good fat that avocado contains. I eat it almost every day. Did you know that you can use it in salty and sweet food? Avocado and chocolate pudding is one of the best things - not too sweet and very creamy.
Another thing that I found out that one pack of spaghetti lasts for four days. I never thought about quantity before, when cooking, because it has always been better if there's more of whatever I'm cooking. Now I only cook for one and the amounts are really small.
Also popcorn tastes way better, when it is made on a pan. This I discovered, because I just don't have a microwave, and don't miss having one. And I do enjoy seeing them pop.
I also replaced chips with popcorn and nuts, and started eating apples again, because they are cheap and contain a lot of vitamins. As they say - an apple a day keeps the doctor away!
I often think that this eating thing is not nuclear science, but where were my brains when I was in a relationship? I mean chips and beer every other night was never a good choice. I guess it's the comfort zone and adapting with another person's eating habits, but that is not an excuse.
There is a store called Umami here in Tartu and I'm dying to go there. If you look it up, it has so many interesting ingredients, asian food, spices, for example, did you know that black garlic exists or how does smoked salt taste like? Awesome.
About places to go out to eat, I have been to Päris Pariis and that chef's special is a great choice - your pancake is soaked in Cointreau and set on fire, tastes like caramelized orange. Sushi places are not the best in here. Cafe Crepe is also not my favorite, the portion is just huge and doesn't taste so good. Tibetan restaurant Himaalaja jutud is not a bad place, portions are meant for two, but the interior is disappointing. Fast food places in the other hand are great, sandwich cafe Metro is great, because you can choose everything that goes in and Fasters food is just delicious, especially in 4 in the morning. My absolutely favorite cafe in Tartu is called Armastus, which means love and for a good reason, you will leave the place feeling loved and that's what great service is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment